Saturday, October 22, 2005

Things I learned looking for photos of cannoli

Yes, this is a not-so-veiled excuse to write about my birthday on this blog as well as on my other one. See, a group of us from work went to Vitale's to celebrate last night, where I locked my keys in the car along with the camera and computer. So since I didn't have a chance to take any photos, I thought I'd track down images to represent my birthday cake for the evening -- a cannoli. Here are some things I learned in the process:

  • Cannoli making is an art form. It is also the subject of art.
  • Cannoli is a popular name for cats. Lots of people with cats named Cannoli put their cats' photos on the internet.
  • People like to take photos of other people eating cannoli. Many of these photos also are on the internet with names like, "Jessica cannoli" or "love that cannoli."
  • You can buy what looks like stainless steel tubes used to form cannoli shells before deep frying them. These tubes are always shown in photos alongside an actual cannoli so there's no confusion as to what the tubes are for.
  • There are books, CDs, caterers -- even oil paintings named for cannoli. Well, not exactly, but you get the picture.
  • Cannoli seems most often served with coffee.
  • When you search hundreds of photos of cannoli on the web, cannoli itself begins to look suggestive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home